On Friday afternoon, we received a call as we were driving home from one of our babysitters. We had been having dinner with my colleague and her family. The sitter asked quite nervously: "Are you OK?" I said, "Yes, why do you ask?" Well, there's a firetruck outside your house. We then called the fire department and found out that someone had called in a brush fire. The fire itself was about 12 feet from our front door and about two feet from the church building. We don't know how it started; it could have been a cigarette butt (ugh) ot it could have been an electrical issue. Both factors will be explored.
Meanwhile, while Adam was dealing with the firefighters and the follow-up I got Jed and Addie into the tub. I soon heard a cry downstairs and then Elias told me his tummy was like a balloon and now was empty. Since I couldn't leave the kids in the tub, I yelled down for him to take his clothes off and come upstairs. He left Adam a nice pile of vomit on the bottom two steps of the house. However, he did warn Adam when he came in by saying "You will see some mac n cheese on the stairs daddy. I had too much on my plate.)
Finally, the much anticipated first birthday party was moved from the beautiful farm to the parish hall because of the threat of rain. It actually only sprinkled here during the course of the party, but the ground was very wet. The party was still a lot of fun; the kids played in the preschool playground, which ended with an egg hunt, and only one child falling into the fountain. Josiah loved seeing his seventy plus admirers ( we invited the whole parish) as he tried my strawberry trifle. And, clean-up was a lot easier right next door then up at the farm. Next year, we will not schedule a party in May or April outside--nor will we invite so many people.